Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Yes, Doctah!

My supervisor, Dr. Bob, a medical doctor-turned-disarmament activist, is most often referred to simply as Doc or the Doctor (Doctah here in Zambia) – even at the hospital, where you’d think having the name Doctor would get a tad confusing. It took little time for me to understand how it’s possible to distinguish oneself as the doctor in a hospital full of them. The man is quite possibly the most gifted networker I’ve ever known, effortlessly charming local activists, public officials, international diplomats and common Zambians alike.

Lunchtime at the hospital where I work normally consists of Dr. Bob entertaining a crowd of doctors and nurses on the latest developments in Zambian politics. Standing in the same open area day after day, Dr. Bob waves down passersby, asking their opinions on the issue at hand, or teasing them if he knows them personally. “If X candidate wins in Y region, I tell you, hair will grow from the palm of my hand,” he yells across the hall. “No, you don’t understand!” He grabs someone’s hand and insists, “individual hairs will sprout from my palm!”

When he came across an ID card for one of the presidential candidates, he began flashing it to colleagues and friends, pleading, “have you seen this patient? I can’t find this patient, he’s a patient of mine!” I only recently found out that most of Dr. Bob’s usual lunchtime crowd comes from another part of the country as he does, and overwhelmingly supports the archrival of his chosen candidate. Something about his character makes arguing singlehandedly against large numbers utterly enjoyable for all involved.

Even on the public minibuses, where political passions are extreme, and often augmented by the effects of alcohol, Dr. Bob engages the crowds, wielding only his disarming social skills as self-defense. Since much of our work involves meeting with people and moving around, I have spent many hours witnessing these kinds of social interactions. I chip in occasional jokes and remarks – Dr. Bob’s trusted sidekick, you could call me – and thoroughly enjoy it.

Granted, there are side effects to his gregariousness. Punctuality isn’t one of his strong points. But Dr. Bob shatters the social guards of the people he encounters, and in so doing offers me a wonderful glimpse of Zambian life, one that I might not otherwise have access to.

A view of the massive University Teaching Hospital at night.

The hospital by day. Conveniently, most of the individuals and organizations Dr. Bob and I work with are based here. It's also located a stone’s throw from my house.

3 comments:

kevO said...

lol great entry! meeting dr. bob at the CMC in kampala was one of the highlights of the conference for me, an extraordinary gentleman indeed! on a side note, that picture of the rain, and the pool.. you live there?? wow!

Louis Century said...

Glad you liked it! Bob's a character, isn't he? And yes, the pool is mine, surprisingly enough. Hope you're well!

Louis Century said...

Today people were calling him Chairman Mtonga at the hospital. Hysterical.