Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas in Malawi

I'm at a hostel in Blantyre, Malawi, waiting... waiting... waiting for photos from my recent travels to upload. It looks like they never will, so you'll have to wait until I return to Lusaka on January 11th.

This is unfortunate, because I've been snapping away lately. I just returned from a hike up Mt. Mulanje in southern Malawi which blew away my expectations. The mountain is towering and powerful with rock cliffs and majestic peaks, surrounded by lush greenery and dense forest, and more waterfalls than I've ever seen in such a short time. On Christmas day, we hiked and climbed to the summit of Sapitwa, Mt. Mulanje's highest peak at 3,001 meters.

I spent four days on the mountain, finishing yesterday, Boxing Day. For Christmas, seven of us - two whom I was hiking with, and four more we met on the mountain - whipped together a delicious feast in the fireplace of one of the mountain huts. Not a conventional Christmas meal, but full of Christmas cheer and good company nonetheless.

Tomorrow, I embark on a three-day bus journey to the Mozambican coast, after about 10 days here in Malawi. I will write and post pictures when I get the chance. My favourite photo, the one I've been trying to upload for the last half hour, is of our group on top of Sapitwa peak on Christmas morning, wearing Santa Claus hats that another hiker brought along for the occasion. Soon!

--

Next day update: two photos just loaded!

No comments: